4.29.2008

Safe Birth Initiative

Finally, here is the low down on the post I've been meaning to write. However, it's the short version because once again I have to jet here in a few minutes.

Here's what happened: I had a final project for a PR class. What I wanted to do was something that would convince venues to sponsor movie nights for pregnant women, in which they see empowering, gentle birthing videos. Believe it or not, that's a hard sell; the reason being that in order to promote wonderful, orgasmic birth, it first has to be acknowledged that birth in the US has been anything but.

So, my presentation started out addressing the main problems women face.

The Bad News? (many of you already know this)

nOver 30% rate of surgical births

n42 countries have lower infant mortality rates

29 countries have lower maternal mortality rates

n56% first time moms feel confused and a little afraid

The good news?

We know how to fix it. We know what makes birth safer and more comfortable, and it isn't non-evidence based care. We also know that change in obstetrics has always come about by consumer demand. I listed several examples in my PPP.

My contention is that women just want accurate information on which to base decisions, and respect. They don't want empowered birth, or orgasmic birth, or even comfortable birth without drugs, because they don't believe it's possible. In order to even conceive of it, so they can believe in it, they have to see it. Hence the movies.

The PPP spoke to why how we birth is important, with sources, and and information from my survey on what women said they wanted to see.

I also covered why it is in the best interest of the venue to host such events. All in all, it really was a good presentation.

Afterwards, my prof. said something to the effect of, 'Who are your publics?'

I said pregnant women and the venues that can reach them.

He repeated the question. Apparently I was incorrect.

He asked where women can be found.

I insisted college campuses were the place to reach them. I still think it's a fine place to start.

He suggested another area.

He pointed out that HR departments of employers are where the changes are now being made. I questioned how that could be. He said that companies are trying to cut back on health care costs, and prevention is a hot topic. Ok, fair enough. (I was getting excited as I saw where he was going with this!)

And then he said, 'Have you ever talked to someone who said they'd like to hire a midwife, but their insurance wouldn't cover it?'

I got so excited I could hardly stand it! That happens all the time! His answer to that was, make it affordable and easy, and people will choose it. The way to do that is NOT by reaching the women. It's NOT by going after the insurance companies, or to hire midwifery lobbyists, or to try to get the U.S. Govt. to use common sense. The answer is HUMAN RESOURCES.

He gave me names, and ideas and so much I couldn't write fast enough. It all made sense!
And now I have to run. More later.

No comments: